Anthology Short Story Award 2021
Writers of short fiction are invited to enter the Anthology Short Story Award. Established to recognise and encourage creative writing and provide a platform for publication, it is open to original and previously unpublished short stories in the English language by a writer of any nationality, living anywhere in the world. Stories submitted must be on the theme of ‘Memories’ and not exceed the maximum of 1,500 words. Writers can submit as many entries as they wish.
It is not a requirement, but is advisable to refer to Anthology magazine or purchase a copy before submitting your work, so that you can see the type of material we publish. Subscriptions and single copies are available to purchase through our online shop.
The winner will receive a €500 cash prize and the chance to see their work published in a future issue of Anthology.
The winner will also receive a one year subscription to Anthology magazine
Submission Deadline & Entry Fees:
Early Bird: 30 April 2021 – €10 per story
Deadline: 31 July 2021 – €15 per story
The Anthology Short Story Award is listed with:
Terms and Conditions
- To enter, submit an original, unpublished short story, written in English on the subject of ‘Memories’ with a maximum of 1,500 words.
- Entry fee: €10 per story if entered by midnight on 30 April 2021, or €15 per story if entered by midnight on 31 July 2021.
- There is no limit to the number of entries you can submit.
- There is no age limit.
- The closing date for receipt of entries is Saturday 31 July 2021 at midnight.
- Submissions will be judged on literary merit, originality and readability.
- Once selected, the winner will be contacted by email or telephone.
- Copyright remains with the author but Anthology reserves the right to be the first to publish or arrange a broadcast of selected works. The right to use the stories to further publicise this award is also retained.
- Submission of a written piece implies the author’s acceptance of the rules and conditions.
- Anthology reserves the right to change the prizes in the event of unforeseen circumstances.
Congratulations to the WINNER of the Anthology Magazine Short Story Award 2020
Niamh Donnellan (Ireland) for Islands
The judges would also like to highlight the work of the following three writers:
– Marguerite Doyle (Ireland) for Outlier
– Neil Tully (Ireland) for The Road Was Full of Mud
– Brian O’Connor (United Kingdom) for Hope is a Green Shoot
We wish to thank all those who entered the Anthology Magazine Short Story Award 2020. We would also like to thank our hardworking independent panel of judges, who carefully read and assessed each entry to select the shortlist, highly commended writers and overall winner.