Established to recognise and encourage creative writing and provide a platform for publication, the Anthology Short Story Competition is open to original and previously unpublished short stories in the English language by a writer of any nationality, living anywhere in the world. There is no restriction on theme or style. Stories submitted must not exceed the maximum of 1,500 words. Writers can submit as many entries as they wish. Each submission will require a separate entry form and is subject to a separate entry fee.
It is not a requirement, but is advisable to refer to Anthology magazine or purchase a copy before submitting your work, so that you can see the type of material we publish. Subscriptions and single copies are available to purchase through our online shop.
- FIRST: The winner will receive €1,000 and the winning story will be published in a future issue of Anthology.
- SECOND: €250
- THIRD: €150
Submission deadline and entry fees
Final Deadline: 31 July 2024
- Early bird fee – €15: December – March 2024
- Standard fee – €18: April – July 2024
How to enter
Click the button below to access the entry form. Fill in your details, upload your entry and complete the payment before clicking ‘submit’. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions below for competition rules.
Terms and Conditions
- To enter, submit an original, unpublished short story, written in English with a maximum of 1,500 words.
- There is no limit to the number of entries you can submit. Each submission will require a separate entry form and is subject to a separate entry fee.
- All stories are judged anonymously and therefore the writer’s name must not appear on the short story itself. Name and contact details should be on the entry form only.
- There is no restriction on theme or style.
- There is no age limit.
- Submissions will be judged on literary merit, originality and readability.
- Once selected, the winner will be contacted by email or telephone.
- Copyright remains with the author but Anthology reserves the right to be the first to publish or arrange a broadcast of winning story. The right to use the winning story to further publicise this award is also retained.
- Submission of a written piece implies the author’s acceptance of the rules and conditions.
- In order to minimise administrative costs and maintain affordable fees, please note that entry fees are non-refundable.
- Prize money will be paid on publication of the winning Short Story in Anthology.
Previous Short Story Competition winners
- 2022 Winner: Braveheart by Robin Barker
- 2021 Winner: Scenes From a Return Journey by Julian Vignoles
- 2020 Winner: Islands by Niamh Donnellan
The Anthology Short Story Competition is listed with:
Writing.ie | CreativeWriting.ie | Christopher Fielden | NAWE National Association of Writers in Education | The Writers College | Australian Writers’ Resource | Almond Press | Neon Books | Sisters in Crime | Study Work Grow | Reedsy | Kotobee | Duotrope | Writers Online | Student Competitions | Film Freeway | Art Deadlines List | Fine Art New Zealand | CAP Arts Centre | UK Writers College | The Novelry | New Pages | New Writers | Query Letter | Chill Subs | Arizona Commission on the Arts | SA Writers College | Florida Department of State | Delaware Scene | Regional Arts & Culture Council | North Carolina Arts Council | Penguin | Writers Victoria |