The Anthology Short Story Award is now open for entries.
Established to recognise and encourage creative writing and provide a platform for publication, this short story award is open to original and previously unpublished short stories in the English language by a writer of any nationality, living anywhere in the world. Stories submitted must be on the theme of ‘Courage’ and not exceed the maximum of 1,500 words. Writers can submit as many entries as they wish.
It is not a requirement, but is advisable to refer to Anthology magazine or purchase a copy before submitting your work, so that you can see the type of material we publish. Subscriptions and single copies are available to purchase through our online shop.
The winner will receive a €500 cash prize and the chance to see their work published in a future issue of Anthology. The winner will also receive a one-year subscription subscription to Anthology.
Submission Deadline & Entry Fees:
Deadline: 31 August 2022 – €15 per story
Terms and Conditions
- To enter, submit an original, unpublished short story, written in English on the subject of ‘Courage’ with a maximum of 1,500 words.
- Entry fee: €15 per story. Deadline for entries 30 August 2022.
- There is no limit to the number of entries you can submit. Each submission will require a separate entry form and is subject to a separate entry fee.
- There is no age limit.
- Submissions will be judged on literary merit, originality and readability.
- Once selected, the winner will be contacted by email or telephone.
- Copyright remains with the author but Anthology reserves the right to be the first to publish or arrange a broadcast of selected works. The right to use the stories to further publicise this award is also retained.
- Submission of a written piece implies the author’s acceptance of the rules and conditions.
- Prize money will be paid on publication of the winning Short Story in Anthology Magazine.
Previous Short Story Winners
2021 Winner: Scenes From a Return Journey by Julian Vignoles
2020 Winner: Islands by Niamh Donnellan
The Anthology Short Story Award is listed with:
Writing.ie | Christopher Fielden | NAWE National Association of Writers in Education | Globe Soup | Spot-lit | Writing WA | Creative Writing Ink | Gulfcoast Writers Association | The Australian Writers’ Centre | The Writers College | Funds for Writers | Irish Writers Centre | Australian Writers’ Resource | Almond Press | Neon Books | Sisters in Crime | TCK Publishing | Poetry Ireland | ArtsHub Australia | InfoDesigners| Scottish Book Trust | Study Work Grow | Reedsy